Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April book: The Shack


I read The Shack for our monthly church Book Club meeting, which will take place later this week. I look forward to the conversation we'll have, as the story and the concepts about God are intriguing. Radical trust and forgiveness; unconventional images of God; a terribly horrific experience that needs to be healed.

That being said, for some reason I didn't find The Shack as compelling as I thought I would. The central metaphor of The Shack -- the place where God meets us as the place of our deepest pain -- is exactly right, I think. But something seemed a little too facile about it, for me. And, in the midst of deep pain, as many people experience God's absence as God's presence, I believe.

As we discuss this book, there will be more conversation, discoveries and deeper insights. I look forward to sharing and hearing them.


Also, this is a reminder that our May book is Plain Truth, by Jodi Picoult. I'll try to get a link up to a reading guide soon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to finish it. I've got all day tonight, tomorrow and Thursday. It lost me just after Papa appeared at the shack. I'm not exactly sure why. Lots to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not like it at all. I read it after someone told me of its premises. Probably because we lost a child 11 years ago now. I think "facile" your word was quite right. I woul be curious as to what other people who have lost a child would think of it.

    ReplyDelete